poniedziałek, 12 października 2015

Interview with Riley/ Grotesque Organ Defilement!

News about tragic death of my friend Michal Majewski from F.A.T.O. and Scab Bombardment Productions really upset me and no words can describe how I felt, RIP brother! Soon after I've heard about ex-F.A.T.O members' project and that's how I got closer to Grotesque Organ Defilement. I contacted them and realized right away that they are such great guys as Michal was. Their new project is 100% in the vein of old school grindcore bands, the thing what I like most. I've been working with those dudes for some time now and I need to admit that they're fuckin' insane! Interview is made by my buddy Zoltan/ Blast Fanzine. Andy EDH
Hello guys, this is Zoli, how are you doing? As far as I know this is the first hungarian Grotesque Organ Defilement interview, so I’d like to start with an introduction. Please tell me, how the story of the band started, what made you to start this band, and what did you set out to do with G.O.D.? Where is the name from?
Hi Zoli! Thanks for the interview, I’m Riley. Our band name dates back to around 2003 or 2004, when I first started experimenting with writing and recording song. I would attempt various styles from death metal, thrash, black metal ect. I wanted to try making a goregrind song with pitch shifted vocals. I made a song with a drum machine and named it Basement Abomination and came up with the name Grotesque Organ Defilement because I thought it would be funny if the acronym spelled “god” but each letter stood for something gorey. Unfortunately I have not been able to find this recording and it may be lost forever. That’s the inside joke behind our song Basement Abomination Pt. 2, since there was a part 1 but perhaps nobody will ever hear it. In 2005 I made another song with this band name in mind, Basket Case, but it wasn’t until around August 2006 that I decide to create a full demo of material resulting in the self titled demo that was not given a pro release until this year. Using songs from this demo I set out to find a drummer and sent some tracks to Leezus who was playing in the band F.A.T.O.. I had seen F.A.T.O. live and I didn’t know anyone else who was drumming in this old school way. Leezus enjoyed my material and we decided to jam, before we ever jammed he contributed some vocals on the first song of that demo, Brain Damage. F.A.T.O. had been looking for a guitar player so I joined them as well at the same time.
G.O.D. live/ pix shot by Willow Alexander.


How the lineup has changed over the years? Introduce the current members of the band please, and tell us a few words about every one of them, favorite movies, books, alcoholic drinks, love songs, and so on... How do you get along with each other, is there sometimes any disagreements between all of you?
We’ve had a few line up changes over the year. The first line up was only myself on guitar/vocals and Leezus on drums. We did not play any shows with this line up but recorded the second demo Neurofibromatosis. Then our friend Esteve Decalisse who had recently left the band Fuck The Facts offered to join on bass. In the summer of 2009 our friend and bass player of F.A.T.O. Michal Majewski sadly, passed away. During a benefit concert for his family we decided F.A.T.O. would end and Danargh the vocalist would join G.O.D. so we could all continue to play together. So the line up became a 4 piece with me on guitar/vocals, Danargh on vocals, Esteve on bass vocals, and Leezus on drums. Sometime around late 2010/early 2011, Esteve left G.O.D. after getting an offer to join Mesrine. So Danargh decided to learn all the songs on bass and this is the line up we still have as a 3 piece. We all get along very well and are consistently in agreement on band matters. At this point we have been working together for a long time and everything goes smoothly, we are able to come to consensus easily and nobody tries to control the band too much.


Are there any other bands or side-projects you are involved too? Or G.O.D is the main priority? Can you also say a few words about some of the previous bands you've been in?
We all played in the band F.A.T.O., Leezus and Danargh were original members (starting in 2001) and I did not join until after G.O.D. had already begun. We used to call F.A.T.O. ‘thrashgrind’, if you can imagine a mix between old Napalm Death and Cryptic Slaughter it was something like that. Before this I was not in any bands that played a gig or had a release. Since G.O.D. I’ve been involved in a few other bands. All 3 of us were in Avon Dealer (mid paced, gore/death/grind), I left that band recently but I believe they are still playing the odd gig. I played in drums in a hardcore punk band called Indictable Mischief. Leezus plays in a hardcore band called Crazy Bomber. Danargh used to play bass in a punk  band called Twisted Fister. I currently play drums in a garage rock band called Faux Cults. Most recently I have started a new solo project called Spermatocele, which is choatic goregrind/noisegore where I write and record everything spontaneously and without much planning. If I have to choose yes G.O.D. is my main priority.


Destroy Your Life For Capitalism 7"EP cover art
I think your music is a perfect and excellent mix of goregrind and grindcore (both in the old school way). How did you find this lethal mix? What motivates you to play this form of music?

The mix came naturally since it is a reflection of the kinds grind we listen to the most. I found goregrind after being into brutal death metal and realizing that goregrind was a much more a satisfying type of extreme sound. I love goregrind like old Regurgitate where it basically sounds like From Enslavement To Obliteration with gorey pitch shifted vocals. So the old school grindcore influence is built right in, we just bring it out a bit more in some of the vocals. This mix is also something we’ve seen in bands like Ulcerrhoea, & Malignant Tumour.

How did you met with this type of noise, which bands have influenced you to start writing your own music?

The first grindcore bands I got into were Napalm Death, Terrorizer, Repulsion, Agathocles, Carcass, and Dahmer maybe some others. I got into grindcore as a natural extension of being into old school death metal. The first goregrind bands I started listening to were Regurgitate, Dead Infection, Last Days Of Humanity, Cock & Ball Torture, Rompeprop.. as I mentioned I was into brutal death metal before that. I realized that in general grind was more satisfying for me and I got sick of the technical riffs, triggered drums all those brutal bands use.

What was the very first grindcore / goregrind album, EP or split you purchased, and the first grindcore / goregrind gig you've visited; if you can remember for that?

The first grindcore album I purchased was Napalm Death - Utopia Banished (if we can count it as grindcore) and I still love that album. I got Repulsion - Horrified, Napalm Death - Peel Sessions, and Pig Destroyer - 38 Counts Of Battery shortly after. The first proper live grindcore band I saw was definitely F.A.T.O. in my hometown Peterborough in 2003 I believe. The first bigger name grind band I saw live was Napalm Death in 2006 and I didn’t see a real goregrind band with pitch shifted vocals live until 2007 when I saw Regurgitate in Toronto. Of course those are just my answers, the other members of G.O.D. are a bit older than me and got into this stuff earlier.

You played recently at Obscene Extreme Canada, did you enjoy the show, and what are your impressions about the venue, the sound, the stage and the whole festival? Which other bands did you enjoy the most from the festival?
We enjoyed the show a lot! The venue is called Theatre Telus and it is sponsored by Telus, a large Canadian cell phone company. I must admit that I don’t like the idea of a corporate sponsored venue and the whole place was really ‘fancy’ which probably felt weird for everyone. However Curby had many things to take into consideration when organizing this fest and I assume he picked this place for a good reason! Furthermore the venue staff and sound techs were excellent and very helpful and security was tolerant in allowing the kind of party OEF is about (stage diving, ect). Tons of great bands but Agathocles and Archagathus were the highlight bands for me, also Inhumate since they pulled tons of people up onto the stage and are so intense live. On the downside I’ve heard the festival lost money due to an inadequate turn out so, sadly,  we probably will not have OEF in Canada again.

Body Horror album cover, artwork by Pierre De Palmas
Did you see some crazy freak people, which is natural and general in the Czech edition of OEF? For example, this year, I’ve seen a crazy Czech guy, who had pissed in his own mouth and face while walking. Have you seen something similar in Obscene Extreme Canada?
Honestly there was not much like that here. Almost everybody was just dressed in their normal band shirts and clothes they would always wear. I saw a few people in costume, a banana costume, a hospital gown with balaclava but I was surprised that very few people dressed up. I think there might have been some other costumes that I missed. Deche-Charge’s set did feature some male nudity and it was pretty funny.

Let’s talk about Body Horror! The first album is a huge milestone in every band’s life, did you feel any pressure because of that, when you wrote and recorded the album? Are you pleased with how it came out? Has the final product met with your expectations and aspirations?
I didn’t feel any pressure because we weren’t given a strict deadline or anything. We were able to take our time with it. The only stress is I was committed to doing an actual full length 30 minute album so I knew it would be a lot of work and take a long time. Including songwriting we worked on it for almost a year. Many of the songs were already written so we probably only had to write about half of it after we decided to do it. We recorded and mixed everything ourselves and since we are no professionals, had to take everything slow in order and get it to come out the way it did. It took a lot of patience and I’m very proud that we pulled it off and accomplished such a substantial tracklist. I very happy with how the album turned out. Now we are in the process of getting the 12”/cassette releases in production!

I think the production and the sound on Body Horror is a bit stronger than on your previous works, still raw and dirty, but heavy as fuck! Was this raw sound intentional from your side? Did the recording go smoothly, or were there anything that you’ve done different, than by your earlier stuffs?
I’m happy with the way you’ve described the sound! Yes I would say the sound on the album is intentional although we didn’t know exactly how it would come out. I was trying to make it sound stronger than anything we had done before but I did not want to work with a studio engineer who would totally remove our personal touch. Mixing it ourselves (I do it, with the other members help) is also extremely important to me at this point. We’ve always recorded and mixed everything we’ve done ourselves and I no longer have any interest in getting somebody else to do it. This way I get to learn more about audio production as I go and our sound can have a clear evolution as we release new stuff. There are a few differences in how our we’ve done different recording sessions. We didn’t use a multitrack recording interface at first so we were limited with how we could mix the drums. On some of the sessions we recorded live instead of tracking the instruments separately so that affect how the mix will sound as well. One big difference on the album is with the guitar. I recorded using 2 guitar amps with a different pedal on each. One with an HM-2 and one with amp distortion + MT-2. With each amp mic’d to a separate track, I could track each song twice and end up with 4 guitar tracks to mix which I panned carefully for a really huge guitar tone. We also used a Shure Beta 58a vocal mic instead of a SM 58 which is way better for the pitch shifted vocals. Finally we got Jack Moose to master the album and it’s the first time any G.O.D. material has been professionally mastered - that is a big part of why the album sounds so much stronger as you described.


In addition to that, what can you tell us about the creative process of G.O.D. in general, how is your songwriting / recording process like, do you need a special mood for songwriting?
In the beginning I would write all the songs almost entirely myself and I had drum machine beats to go with them which I had used on the first demo. I would present the songs for Leezus to learn this way. Overtime more of and more of the creative input has been shared with the other band members. Lyric writing has so far been shared between Leezus and I. I still write a lot of the songs on guitar because we don’t live in the same city and with short songs, we need to create many of them without taking a very long time. These days Leezus takes full creative control over the drums and sometimes plays something other than what I had in mind, which keeps the songs feeling fresh. Leezus has been writing a few songs just on the drums with riffs to be added later and that has been interesting too. Danargh has contributed some riffs and ideas here and there as well. And occasionally we will get to together and write a batch of songs as a group. So the process varies. In a group it is easier to come up with ideas but they tend to be less ambitious, when I make songs by myself I usually think of riffs in my head at work, then go home and learn how to play them on guitar. Usually I just think of what influences I’m getting inspired by and go from there.

split 7" EP w/ Violent Restitution,
artwork by Pierre De Palmas
Which one of your releases was the hardest to create and record so far, and why? And which one took the longest time to release after you finished recording it?
Hardest to create and record was definitely Body Horror for the reasons I’ve already discussed - the length of it, and the production standards we wanted to meet. Longest to release technically would be the Self Titled demo, since it was recorded in 2006 but never properly released until 2015. I did create some CDR copies back then but I only distributed them to friends. Other than that our material from the Entartete Grind Kunst 4-way split tape was recorded in 2008 and not released until 2012. We’ve had a bunch of material that took 3 years or so to come out because we used to do recording sessions without any idea how the music would be released. We didn’t have as many label contacts or as much interest in our band before 2012/13.

Blastasfuk is a killer record label, how did you agree to release the album by Roby from The Kill? You’ve signed with Blastasfuk for only one album? What is your opinion about the new The Kill album?
Roby asked us to release a full length G.O.D. and a discography collection cd as well. It was an easy decision to say yes. Blastasfuk is an awesome label and also the first time we’ve had something released in Australia. So now the album is out we still plan to release a discography collection cd through that label. My ‘opinion’ about the new The Kill album is that it kills.

What was the overall reaction to Body Horror? Did you get a lot of positive or perhaps negative feedback from fans or from critics?
We have gotten a lot of positive feedback from our friends, from fans online, and from people who run labels or are in other bands. Nobody has approached us to give us negative feedback about the sound, riffs, or style of the album but I think that would be a really weird thing to do. I would never contact a band to tell them that I don’t enjoy listening to one of their releases because my opinion doesn’t mean shit.  If somebody doesn’t like the way we sound, that is not relevant to me at all. Any negative opinions can come out in discussions amongst listeners or in reviews. I haven’t seen a lot of reviews yet (I think some people are waiting to get their hands on the vinyl) but in the words of Nocturno Culto “Fuck reviews!”.

The self-titled demo and Neurofibromatosis demo was re-released together on tape this year by Grindfather. What can you tell us about this first steps, and how do you feel nowadays about this early materials of G.O.D.? Are you proud about them, or is there something you'd do now different?
I never really planned to release that earliest stuff except for maybe on a collection. Jacek asked me about releasing the first demo and I thought he meant the self-titled but he was actually talking about rereleasing Neurofibromatosis. So then he was interested in hearing the oldest stuff. I sent it to him and we decided we could make a demos collection tape. When I listen back to the self-titled demo there is a lot of I would change, a lot of the samples, and basically everything about the production. But I think it has a strange charm to it. What I’m most proud of when I listen to that one is to see how far we have come which I didn’t expect at all at the time! I think the Neurofibromatosis demo was a huge step forward in creating and extreme raw sound and increasing the intensity. I’m still very proud of that demo and I wouldn’t change a thing.

split 7"EP w/ Mesrine
If you should choose only one material as your best (in terms of songwriting, sound, etc.), which one would it be? Do you have a favorite recording/release from your own discography? Are you pleased with all of your materials?
I if could choose only one it would be Body Horror, it has the most songs (new ones and old ones) and the most work went into it. So of course I would choose that. If I could choose 2 I would choose Body Horror and the Neurofibromatosis. Listening to those 2 you will get the best overall picture of what G.O.D. has done. I’m happy with all our recordings, none of them are perfect and I like it that way.

Canada has a very strong and healthy grind scene, do you agree? Mesrine, Dahmer, Wake, Archagathus, Six Brew Bantha, Wadge, Violent Restitution, you, and the list goes on… What is your secret? What are some of your favorite canadian bands right now? Do you have any other recommendations from the Canadian scene?
I agree that Canada has a good grind scene but there’s no secret. I don’t think the Canadian scene is so special when you look at it on an international scale, maybe it’s just catching up to some other places. The US is getting a lot more grindcore bands as well. Here’s some bands you did not mention The Vanishing Act, Fistfuck, Soil Of Ignorance, Metastasis, Ahna,  Powercup, Rape Revenge, Biological Monstrosity, Mass Grave, Deboned, Osk, Thick Piss, Column Of Heaven, Vile Intent, Cephalophore, Fuck The Facts, Thinkshit, The Endless Blockade, Gofuckyourself.. there’s lots more too.

You like playing covers, you recorded many songs from Dead Infection and Regurgitate to Napalm Death and Terrorizer, among many others, but come on guys… not Carcass yet? You don’t like the grandfathers of goregrind?
Of course we love the first 2 Carcass albums. We will probably do a Carcass cover eventually. I guess we never picked a Carcass song yet because to me our style is significantly different, more in the ripping fast Napalm Death/Regurgitate style than the chugging style of Carcass. We do have a few songs that are a bit more Carcass influenced but overall they are not usually the first influence I have in mind when writing for G.O.D..

split 12"LP w/ Ahna, artwork by Matt Sidney
In the cover of your split with Violent Restitution, you say „Gore Forever, Misogyny never”. So, it seems you don’t have abnormal sexual interests like many other goregrind band, and you don’t need a little bit violence to have erection… Am I right? What's your opinion about nowadays goregrind scene, what are your likes and dislikes?
Sorry but if you need actual violence to get an erection, you are a danger to society, plain and simple. I don’t know how many bands are actually like that, but even pretending to be that way for shock value is pretty pathetic. We need to make an important distinction here though between sexual violence and kink/bdsm! It’s not the same thing. Being against rape and misogyny does not mean you have to be totally vanilla!! We are absolutely against sexual violence (rape, abuse, sexual harassment and any non-consensual sexual advances)! But we do not have a problem with kink or bdsm as long as it is consensual!! That’s not violence.
You’ve asked 2 questions in one. For the second part here’s just a few newer goregrind bands that I like, many of which start with the letter P: Metastasis, Pancreatectomie, Patisserie, Active Stenosis, Parfumerie, Pulsating Cerebral Slime, Parazitózis.  

I know a lot of bands who aren’t using lyrics in their songs; but you have a very strong message. You aren’t really wrote about pathological issues, but animal right, social issues, misogyny, etc. So for me you are more into a grindcore attitude. What message do you want to send, what kind of issues you are dealing with, what motivates you to write lyrics?
You’ve got the basic idea. Animal rights is something that is very important to me and also addressing misogyny as it is very prevalent in music scene (not only heavy/’extreme’ music scenes). These issues started to come out more in our material when G.O.D. became our main band (instead of a side project). We weren’t going to devote so much time to a band unless we could actually use it to address issues that matter to us. Another running theme in our music is bizarre developments in bio-technology! Of course still do some horror film themed or pathological songs as well, there’s room for it all!

split tape w/ Pancreatectomie
Your logo, and some of your album covers was made by Pierre from Braindead zine and Blue Holocaust. How did you find him, and when can we expect a Blue Holocaust / G.O.D. split?
I found his site browsing online and later e-mailed him to suggest he check out our band. I sent him a free copy of our split 7” with Archagathus and apparently he liked what we were doing. That guy is a great artist and has contributed tons to the scene internationally. A split with Blue Holocaust? Maybe! Who knows these days I’m not too concerned with splits unless a good opportunity arises. I’ve started to avoid planning any releases at all beyond what we have time to record for, so 1-2 things and after that we leave it unknown.

What is the status of the Warsore tribute? Many people waiting for that material, do you have any info when and how can be released?
I don’t know the status but it sounds like it is for sure coming out. After it was first announced we didn’t hear anything for a long time. Not long ago they revealed the cover art and bands list ect. It’s on the way. But these days the pressing plants are often backed up especially if the order is made in the lead up to Record Store Day. It can take 6-8 months to get a record back from the plant depending on when/where it was sent. Hopefully it won’t take too much longer. At this point I’m used to vinyls taking forever. Also a compilation could take even longer to organize because the labels need to collect materials from so many bands.

What do you like to do aside playing in the band and everyday job? What kind of music do you listen to, apart from grindcore and goregrind?
I live in a fairly small town and there is not much to do but there is a lot of music happening here. but G.O.D. is the only actual grindcore band that plays gigs. I am fairly active in the local music scene, have played in some bands and book shows for touring bands as well. I attend lots of local gigs featuring many different genres. I also attend lots of other community events, art openings, and occasionally I volunteer with stuff like that. I like a super wide variety of music apart from grind/gore/noisecore/powerviolence. Metal like thrash, death metal, black metal, NWOBHM, sludge/doom. Punk, post-punk, crust, d-beat, hardcore, noisepunk. Rock like 70s hard rock, prog rock, garage rock, noiserock. Noise, power electronics, industrial, harshnoise. Even electronic stuff like techno, house, hip hop, pop when I’m in the mood. I’m sure that doesn’t cover everything. However in terms of collecting and everyday listening I am focused on the metal/punk related genres 80% of the time.
G.O.D. live/ pix shot by Ska Jeff.
Is there any possibility to do a European tour? Do you see any chance to play in Hungary in the future? What can I expect from G.O.D in a live gig? How long are your shows in general, and how do you decide on which songs to play from your big discography?
I honestly don’t know what are the chances of a European tour. I would like to play anywhere but up to this point we have not done toura any more than 3-4 days at a time. That doesn’t mean we couldn’t do more sometime in the future but for most part we like to keep things simple. Our typical set length is 30 mins unless we have it capped shorter. We try to include at least 1-2 songs from every era and of course, focus on new songs. The nice thing about grindcore is there is always room for some old stuff. We normally focus on the songs we have played a lot and can execute easily but often make sure to bring back a song we haven’t played in a long time as well. We don’t over think it. Our set list evolves gradually with small changes made over time. With G.O.D. live we don’t take ourselves too seriously and we don’t hide our real personalities on stage - no posturing, tough guy shit. I prefer not to talk anymore than is necessary. Sometimes Leezus says really funny stuff between songs!

split 7"EP w/ Archagathus, artwork by Adam Kindred


What is your current playlist, and what are the most impactful and important releases in the history of goregrind to you?

This week I’ve been listening to a lot of Motorhead, Blood, Rot, Squash Bowels, Lymphatic Phlegm, Blasphemy, VCR, Merzbow, Judas Priest, and Provoked.

I guess some of the most important goregrind releases for me (in no particular order of importance) would be:

Carcass - Reek Of Putrefaction

Dead Infection - A Chapter Of Accidents
Last Days Of Humanity - Putrefaction In Progress
Regurgitate - Effortless Regurgitation Of Bright Red Blood
Xysma - Swarming Of The Maggots

Finally, thank you for your time, and for the interview. Is there anything I forgot? Last words are for you.
Zoli! Thank you very much for the interview and to Andy from EveryDayHate for hooking it up. You covered a lot with your questions so I’ve got nothing to add except fuck off to all shitheads! 



G.O.D. contact: 
https://www.facebook.com/grotesqueorgandefilement
https://godgrotesqueorgandefilement.bandcamp.com/
grotesqueorgandefilement[at]gmail.com

Blast fanzine:
n.zsiga.zoltan[at]gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/blastfanzinehungary

 

Gore Forever, Misogyny never

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz